Skip to content ↓

St Clement's

High School

Free School Meals

Is my child entitled to free school meals?

Children of families receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance (income related), Income-based Job Seekers allowance or Universal Credit are entitled to receive free school meals. Families receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 are also entitled.

Families receiving child tax credit but who are not entitled to a working tax credit, and whose annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) does not exceed £16,190 are also entitled, as are those who receive the guarantee element of state pension credit. Those families receiving working tax credit are not entitled to free school meals.

Note: Where a parent is entitled to working tax credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, their children are entitled to free school meals.

You do not need to provide proof of the benefit you receive with your application. Checks will be carried out against the records held by the Department for Work and Pensions, HM Revenue and Customs and the Home Office to determine entitlement. If further information is required in support of your application you will be contacted again.

Once entitlement has been assessed children can continue to receive free school meals until the family stops receiving a qualifying benefit. Parents are required to inform the school or Norfolk County Council of any changes.

If you are receiving one of these benefits, please download and complete the form below, and return it to the Finance Office at Marshland High School. You can also email the completed form to

What exactly is meant by a family’s annual income when considering the criteria for free school meals and Child Tax Credit?

For the purposes of claiming free school meals, ‘annual income’ is defined in education legislation as being ‘income for the tax year calculated in accordance with the Tax Credits’ (Definition and calculation of Income) Regulations 2002. This is the calculation that the Inland Revenue perform as part of the process used to assess a family’s entitlement to tax credits.

Does my child's entitlement to free school meals continue if my child transfers to another school?

The entitlement to free school meals continues for children transferring between one school and another within the same Local Authority subject to parents/carers continuing to receive one of the qualifying benefits.

Parents of children transferring to schools outside of Norfolk should apply to the County Council where the school is situated.

Note: If you are transferring from a Cambridgeshire school you will need to reapply with Norfolk. Please download and complete the form below, and return it to the Finance Office at Marshland High School. You can also email the completed form to

Contact Us

Additional information and guidance can be obtained by:

telephone: Norfolk County Council on 0344 800 8020

Download an application form

Click here to download a copy of the free school meal application form.